Sick Days and Type 1 Diabetes
Your type 1 kiddo is sick. Whether it be a stomach bug, head cold, or bacterial infection, the consequences of a sick type 1 kiddo can be serious if not treated right. Likely you endocrinologist or educator has gone over what you need to do for a sick day. But a quick review never hurts!
- Always check blood sugars every 2 hours
- Check ketones with each urination
- If unable to correct low blood sugars decrease amount of basal insulin
- Encourage plenty of fluids especially if ketones are present.
- If your child is not eating you may need small amounts of fluids with sugars.
If you are following the above very basic guidelines and working with your sick day management plan and you find yourself struggling, call your endocrinologist. They will give you advice on what to do next and when to call back. You can never go wrong with this approach.
What happens if your diabetic child is sick while with a sitter or grandma and grandpa? First head home! But if this is not feasible, we keep a basic sick day management plan in our book that anyone can follow. Then you as a parent have peace of mind until you get home!