All Work and No Play
How is life going? Have you found yourself recently trying to do all diabetes all day and night? Has your child been ill, leaving no room for anything (even a shower)? Or are you just trying to be the best parent/caregiver you know how and that means an A1c less than 7!
This can mean living with too much stress and creating a more clinical environment for your type 1 child. What has your family done recently that has been fun and not structured around diabetes (at least to the best of your parental abilities)? Or structured around diabetes as a learning experience or game?
Here are some Ideas to try for a week
- Diabetes is never fun, but sometimes it’s good to change things up a bit. For example, only do the basic things for meals like carbohydrate counting and giving insulin.
- The whole family checks their blood sugar – new lancets!
- Everyone does a site or CGM insertion
- Different treatment, see post on treatments
- Low-key approach to lows and highs, be calm
- The other parent takes charge: spa day!